The D Word

There is a word that I just don't like.  It can have a few Webster meanings and so I will share those definitions:
a : food and drink regularly provided or consumedb : habitual nourishmentc : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reasond : a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight 
Yes, the word is DIET.  I don't have a problem with definitions a through c, but when you get down to d, that is when I cringe.  I guess I cringe more because of how the word is used instead of the actual definition.  The concept is legitimate but the typical way of using the word is: "I am on a diet".  What does that imply?  That at some point that person will be off the diet.  Either they go off the diet or it is simply their normal way of eating (and therefore there would be no use mentioning that they are "on a diet").

Currently I am on a nutrition plan to help me learn how to eat for the needs of my body.  A woman's body goes through so much change from the time she finds out she is pregnant up until she is done nursing her new baby, and it's nutritional needs change as well.  I believe it is possible to change your body without having the mindset of "going on a diet".  It is about training yourself to have healthy habits and learning how to avoid overeating.  "Going on a diet" is usually a lifestyle of extremes, and that is very hard to maintain.

My favorite definition above is b: habitual nourishment.  Eat foods that will nourish your body habitually, and find delicious and easy ways to prepare them so that you enjoy it.


 Habitually nourish yourself with veggies!  
Below is a great recipe for making a meal out of zucchini.


Grandma Culp's Zucchini Casserole:
6 cups of shredded zucchini
1 box of stove top chicken flavor stuffing (whole wheat if you can find it)
1 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup onion
1 cup of shredded carrot
1/2 stick of melted butter                                                                                                                                                                    Shredded Cheese (however much you prefer)
 

Mix and place in 9x13 greased pan. Top with cheese. Cook at 350 for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. Just a note: I have added canned chicken before and it turned out great.