A Nutrition Plan That Works (for me)

Since having a baby in March, I realized that I needed help with how to understand what my body needs nutritionally.  Being pregnant and now nursing means having different caloric demands than normal.  Also, as I am trying to get back to my normal weight range, I knew I needed some words of wisdom from Sarah, my go-to expert.  Sarah Glunz is an in-store nutritionist for the Giant Food Store in Harrisburg, and she did not let me down.  **And just a little note--this service is a great deal!  You get to meet with a nutritionist for $20, but then you get a $20 gift card to use at Giant Food Store.  Since that is my local food store of choice, it goes right towards my next grocery bill.  


Sarah set me up on a plan that uses exchanges.  This method was new to me, and I like how it is not about counting calories.  To me, it is not a "diet" (a word that I explained my dislike for in an earlier post).  I see it as a guideline that helps train me to eat the right foods, therefore formulating healthy, maintainable habits.  It also allows for some indulgences, which are a necessary part of my life:-)  This is a plan that has worked (and is working) for me, helping to teach my mind what and how much my body actually needs.  


Here is what Sarah says:


The exchange method was developed by The American Diabetes Association and The American Dietetic Association to help people easily track the quantity of food that they consume while also balancing their intake across the major groups; starches, fruits, non-starchy vegetables, milk, meat and meat substitutes, and fats.  When trying to maintain a healthy weight the quantity of food is important but equally as important is the balance of calories between protein, fat, and carbohydrates.  Exchanges make it simple to accomplish both of these needs in an easy way!  Awareness is such a huge part of being a healthy eater and the exchange method is a great tool to help you be more aware of your quantity and balance of food!
Visit the in-store nutritionists at Giant Food Stores for help in developing your exchange plan!  
If you are in the Harrisburg area, here is Sarah's information:


Sarah Glunz, MS, CCN
In-Store Nutritionist
2300 Linglestown Road
Harrisburg, PA 17110
(717) 545-0489

Sarah helped me create healthy habits by making sure I was getting a variety of foods.  Here is what my shopping basket looked like today after my trip to Giant.

A starch (bread), a milk (milk and yogurt), a fruit (banana), a veggie (carrots), a protein (pork and cheese), and a fat (avocado)

This method made me realize I was not getting enough protein, so here is what I discovered to be my new favorite snack.