Fitness Philosophy: Part 2

Family over fitness.  Always.  There are 2 aspects that I will address in this post about my fitness philosophy.  The first one deals with how we can have the temptation to put fitness before family.  The second one is the understanding that family can be a motivating factor for fitness.

When it comes time for me to decide how I am going to go about getting some exercise for the day, there are many things to think about.  When?  How?  Will someone be sacrificing for me to exercise?  How will this affect the way my kids view exercise?  How much money will it cost?  Is it taking away from family time?  I will start off by saying that every family is different and what works for one may or may not work for another.  My exercise routines change often because the needs of my family change often.  If I can find a way to include my kids and husband in my exercise, everyone wins.  However, there also comes a time when exercising solo is the best option.  In the words of one of my friends who has 4 kids, "When Mommy exercises, everyone is happier."  Exercising away from the family can surely bring sanity.  But, if spending great amounts of time on exercise is causing problems within a family, it might be time to reconsider.  I pick and choose what I decide to train for because training involves the whole family.  Being healthy is great.  However, at the end of the day, if my family resents a healthy lifestyle because of how I neglected them and put fitness first, am I really accomplishing much?

Ok, so in case you thought that I am telling you to just sit home and watch TV with your family all the time and never be active, you are WRONG!  When you have people who love you and are relying on you -- parents, spouses, kids, friends, etc. -- then you realize that being healthy and fit is not only about you.  It helps motivate you to take care of your body because other people love you...and want you around for a while.  Find the right balance between causing resentment and motivating others.  YOU are able to encourage other people toward fitness by having them join you in an active lifestyle.  Take care of your body not just for yourself, but for those around you.  As my mommy-friend said, it makes everyone happier. 

Have you thought about how your fitness philosophy might be affecting your family?  Does it make them want to be active too, or does it make them resent exercise...and resent you?


My kids will never say no to going for a walk, especially when it ends with a trip to the playground.  



Did you miss my prior post, Fitness Philosophy: Part 1?  Also, if you want to exercise at home where it won't take you away from family, here is an idea